Monday, May 21, 2007

"There must be something wrong with that kid."
"He's just doing things his way."
"He's lazy, and he knows it."
"Kids his age are all like that."
"Yeah they are. Then they find themselves all grown up and it's too late."
"Too late?"
"Too late to do anything about all the shit they've let themselves regret."
"That isn't true.."
"Kids should be hungry. They should jump at the chance to do some good-to-honest work. Find out more about themselves and the world they live in. Kids should be naiive and bury their noses in something no one else gives a shit about. That way, they're old, and they won't go around doing stupid shit, not acting their age."
"And you do?"
"Shit no, I'm going to get drunk tonight with some buddies and try to get laid. If that don't work we'll go drink some more on my boat, maybe go for a night swim. I spend my whole life making money and earning a living, there isn't a fat chance I'm going to sit around let the rest of my life pass me by. Funny thing is, after having spent so much time planning for a life with wifey, kids, and a house, none of that shit matters anymore. My friends aren't like me. They still haven't figured out what they want. See? I knew what I wanted, I got it, and just like everything else, things change. I want something else. And I'll chase that until I get it."
"Well dad, why don't you leave him out of it. He'll do it his way."
"Yeah I'm sure, just like you're doing."
"That's right, just like that."
"Just like that, eh?"

1 comment:

Six said...

I like where this is going.