Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Ten Minute Break: Inspiration

What is inspiration if not the swift kick to the balls (or cooter) followed by a breathless, "Oh, cool." It's that pit in your stomach, the knowledge that, yes, this is what I want to do. You inspire me, means you impress me. And I, am easily impressed.

It's both great and kind of fucking tiring that everyday I find something or someone out there, in this absurd planet of ours, that opens my eyes, and wakes me up. Thing is, I'm always nodding off. I don't know what it is, but I keep falling asleep, and losing focus. The blurriness sharpens, as I see things like this: Theme Magazine

What do I love about Theme Magazine? Well, to be honest, I've only read one of their issues (there are nine). But it was amazing. It was about artists and the homes that they inhabit. It was about space, and creativity, and it was about geography, god, and the grind. It has sweet layout, both diverse and consistently bold, and I love the typeface of the title. Often, I look up words in the dictionary to re-root myself in the meaning and Theme can mean "a unifying or dominant idea, motif, etc., as in a work of art." While unification has to do with the cohesion of ideas and elements integral to a work or works of art, it also has a sweeping, popular, and communal element to it. A Theme unites, a Theme coalesces, and most importantly, as a word, Theme maintains its ideal and at the same opens itself up to change, re-definition, and constant displacement.

Word em up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

COOTER!!!!!!!

yeah i'm immature, sorry.