Thursday, May 24, 2007

"Damnit!"
(enters talking) "Say something?"
"Nothing, I didn't say anything."
"Well what are you yelling for?"
"I'm not yelling. I'm just trying to focus, can you leave me alone?"
"Yeah, I'll leave you alone once you stop calling me."
"I didn't call you!"
"You quitting your job?"
"What?"
"I heard you quitting your job. Nice place hires you, gives you money, you'd think you'd have to sense to save some money. You're no kid anymore. You got shit to take care of, you gotta man up and do it."
"I can take care of shit just fine."
"Oh okay, and how you going to do that without an income?"
"I'll have an income."
"You'll have an income. (beat) He's only getting bigger."
"He's going to be fine. Just because you had money doesn't mean people who don't have money can't raise their kid up to be a good kid."
"Son you don't know shit."
"I know enough to know you lived your life a certain way and I'm living mine a different way."
"What makes you think you're so different?"
"I'm not going to do something I hate just to support my family."
"Just? Just to support your family?"
"I mean, I'm not going to make them suffer what you made us suffer."
"Shit, the way I treated you has nothing to do with my job. Can't you see it yet, I'm just an asshole, and I've always been one. My job didn't make me a hard mother fucker, I am a hard mother fucker. And you know what else?"
(beat)
"What."
"I did my job because I wanted to. I didn't run away from shit, I did what I wanted. Are you sure you're doing what you want to do? and not just pussying out of the shit you have to deal with?"
"I'm not running."
"Yeah you are, you know how I know? You're scared."
"I'm not scared."
"I wasn't ever scared. At least not after what I went through when I was young. We didn't have anything, but we were smart. Some of us were too impatient, some of us wanted revolution, some of us were just looking to get laid. Me, and a few of my friends, we were smart. We didn't get beat down by the police unless we had to. We didn't go chasing pussy, pussy chased us. We had to evade that shit! (laughs) We made a bad situation into one we could work with."
"Then maybe we're not so different."
"Yeah?"
"Yeah, I got a bad situation myself."
"What the fuck is so bad about your situation."
"Well, there's you, isn't there?"
"That's cold. (laughs) I work my ass off for your life and that's what you think of me?"
"You enjoyed it, it only gave you a reason to treat us like shit."
"How am I your problem? You got problems... like being a tight little pussy. That's a problem."
"I'm not afraid. And I'm not you. And him, he's not going to be like you. He's going to learn what's important."
"Like you learned to be a pussy?"
"I learned to be a man."
"(laughs) I'm glad you learned something in that school of yours. If you finished you might have learned a man has a pair of testicles, not just one. You might have learned a man doesn't just talk, he does something."
"I'm doing."
"What? What you doing?"
"I'm writing."
"Then why don't you shut the fuck up, and pick up a pen." (starts leaving)
"What are you doing? (beat) What do you do with all your newly acquired free time? Drink? Drink on a boat? Why do you even come here?"
"Isn't it obvious? (beat) Make up for lost time" (exits)

No comments: