Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Ten Minute Break: Stomach Ache & Heart Break

I have some kind of attention-span problem. I think the kids are calling it ADD, and there's this cute blue pill that'll help me concentrate. I start doing one task, and as soon as I complete some small part of it, my nose is in a magazine, or I'm chatting on gchat. Distractions are lovely. I get distracted from my own conversations sometimes! I'm talking, I'm talking, I'm talking, and then suddenly I notice that the person I'm talking to, friend forever, is confused. I've somehow strayed.

Something I've noticed about this short attention span is that it's very closely related to my emotional intensity. That's right, I'm kind of emotional. Meaning, I get caught up in excitement and brought down to doldrums at the speed of the Internet. And this affects my productivity. Not just office work, but school work, creative work, and anything else that requires me to focus on something for long periods of time. So while I'm on a roll for about an hour, plugging away at a document, I will hit a speed bump, and I will slow down to the crawling pace of an emo kid talking about his feelings. It, like, sucks.

Like everyone, I have to learn to balance. But I have this feeling that while some people juggle maybe two or three apples at a time, I'm kind of dealing with a dozen raw eggs.

Speaking of raw eggs, my stomach is killing me. It's like a hundred bottles of bubbly are poppin and they just won't stop.

Love.

No comments: