Monday, December 18, 2006

It was all a dream

I woke up to the metalic door sliding shut. He said something to me.

"Where you going?"

I told him, "207th Street."

"You better get off now, you'll end up at JFK."

I jumped up and ran out to find myself standing on the far side of the platform, and staring at the uptown train coming, and going. I knew the next one wouldn't come for a long time. It was 5:30 AM. I called Su:

"Hello? Hello? Su, are you asleep? I'm in Queens."

I uttered the last bit with a swallow.

"Hello? I'm sleeping..."

"Oh, sorry. I'm in Queens. Sorry, good night."

The station stands solitary in the clear night sky. A small crescent moon dots the distance. I'm on the other side now, and it's as cold as hell on this platform. I feel as if I'll freeze to death, and my body will float up into the massive black sky, my body just another shell wandering the bitter cold, my body trembling to the merciless schedule of the patient A train, my body, so close to having been dropped off, like luggage, at JFK.

It's 7:30 AM. I climb into the living room couch and under the covers.
I sleep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yo, what's your mailing address? send it to my gmail? peter.kang@gmail.com -- want to send you something.

Oceanflow said...

life is one big sleep i should not wake up from so i just keep on dreaming.. (nightmaring, more like)