Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Allow me to explain: the following is a link to a facebook group I was invited to--then, there are some comments that made me feel a kind of anger I haven't felt in a long time--it's inexplicable, why I am suddenly so pissed off.

I used to be one problem child when it came to race politics--I never heard anyone out, I aggressively argued anyone who even remotely implied that identity politics were not the most important problem we faced as Americans, and I hated white men as if they were hoards of barbarians.

Needless to say I grew up and mellowed out. I realized that hatred only hurts me, and that to generalize a group of people would be to act as hypocrite. To argue so aggressively is to close my mind, and to close my mind is to end any chance of resolution.

But I am pissed off, fed up, and fucking sick and tired of this bullshit. Poeple have to wake up, have to wake up, have to wake up, because this flame is lit, this fire is alive, and this mother fucker is burning down.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://columbia.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2228618755

Adrian Bruns (Southeastern OSU) wrote
at 5:50pm on January 4th, 2007
I agree with the guy below me. Every single race in the world has had moments like these but you really do not see them making a facebook group about it. Grow up and realize that people say rude and ignorant shit...welcome to America!!
Message - Report



Sean Sweat (MIT) wrote
at 10:56am on January 3rd, 2007
Does anyone want to explain why what she said was offensive and, by extension, why this group isn't a bunch of whiny bitches salivating at the chance to be victims?

Adam Goldberg replied to Michael's post on Dec 16, 2006 at 1:36 PM
I think this is a fair example of hyper-sensitivity.

Every language has distinct sounds as heard from the perspective of one's native language. For example, native Spanish speakers often say English sounds like "washa washa, washa washa ..." Hebrew and French, similarly, make use of a throat sound which is often mimicked by clearing one's throat. There is nothing inherently offensive about the sounds of a language.

Granted Rosie O'Donnell's comment was ignorant; I would not go so far as to call it unacceptable. I laughed when I heard it.


---------------------------------------------

I feel my reponse was meek at best, and I was trying to use some restraint. But still, these were my most virulent retorts about this subject matter in a long time:

Ms. O'Donnell's problem is that she is out of touch with her own (our) culture. Maybe when the members of the View are hanging out drinking coffee her chinaman jokes are a hit, but most people know that it's not funny unless your russell peters; which brings me to my question--at what point is this shit funny? Is racism inherently funny? Would we be laughing if it were a better 'impression'?

and who the fuck is this sean sweat? are you making a point, or being an asshole. another mystery. adrian burns, when's the last time this happened to "your" people? Welcome to america, indeed.


-------------------------------------------

I seek no apology. For these words, or for my spending valuable work time writing this post. It was simply a matter of urgency.

No comments: